Monday, August 11, 2008

grokking the website

Uh...I'm not thrilled with the suzanne website yet, not my best writing there because I need to save that to submit to zines, and I haven't had the time truly to research other things to put up yet....I am cursed with being an editor/writer too, the perfectionist in me leaps forward and I forever rewrite instead of laying to rest something perfectly...fine... and moving on to the next thing...

And I've got zero comments on the ole blog here, basically not enough time to devout to an online presence but I will have the winter to do so. I'm on facebook now too, but mostly have been reconnecting to old friends from high school and theology school.

Sometime I feel like the work theologians do as pastoral ministry is some of the most real work there is...take for example a priest giving last rites or performing some other life changing ritual. A person touching the life of another person by helping them get through a tough time...like Sr. Kathleen who was my spiritual direction counselor for over a year. Not that this work is only done by theologians or from a faith based background, like social workers, but it's that personal connections that I think make the world of difference in reality - on an individual basis.

That is what I'd like to acheive with my craft, is to speak in a way that is meaningful to even just one reader - to conjure a response that is direct and personal.

I may have no idea that it ever happened if no one ever told me.
And not to toot my own horn here but the most amazing moments of my writing career were when someone gave me the gift of response.

So my heartfelt thanks to the man who came up to me at the Farragut House poetry slam and told me he thought I should have won...it's just that I was competeing against the co-founder of the Boston Poetry Slam, Michael Brown. (I didn't have a chance really, but it was very nice of him to say so!)

No comments:

Post a Comment