Wednesday, March 04, 2009

How do you spell or say a pictograph?

Isis, or rather Is.t - the closest approximation to heiroglyphs...the Coptic is Ese, I believe.
There have been numerous discussions, scholarly and othrewise about her and all the
similarities to other mother goddess persona. These are not what I am
concerned with in this moment. One of the things that intrigues about her
is her ability to wield magic. She resurrected Osiris.
She was called upon by numerous devotees to interceed with magic on
their behalf. I read somewhere just today (after numerous other inquiries)
that Egyptian religion began to be heavily influenced by her use of magic as
her cult grew, as it had not been for thousands of years prior.
A good book on the subject of her worship is by R.W. Witt Isis in the
Ancient World.
Another good book that touches on her impact is
The Veil of Isis by the French philosopher, Pierre Hadot. Hadot's book
is not primarily about Isis, but rather about the conceptualization of Nature in philosophy
and science in the western world. I found it incredibly interesting (and yes I'm a huge thinking
geek sometimes) and it's influence will be found in the lastest story I'm presently working on,
as well as a piece of the goddess's own story.
I just loved this image I found too; she's co-mingled with Hathor here, the horned headdress, but
it will just have to do.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment