Tuesday, May 05, 2009

How did life prepare me for this?

Life only prepares us for more...not any particular, just more.
When you find yourself a provider of care for the people who raised you it can be crazy busy, emotionally taxing, frustrating, sad, anger can play a role too. I mean who picked me for this? Isn't this supposed to be all planned out, aren't parents the ones who had the plan when we were kids?
What will my plan be? Will I ever be in a position to make one?
Questions like these are detours, there's really nothing left to do but accept the issues that arise and deal with them as best I can. That was something, as I may have said before, that I learned in theology school. Life/god wants a response. That's what I am here to do, respond to life with all the gifts I've been given, learned, and earned.
And when it comes to caring for parents you love profoundly and problematically (or some combination like that depending on yours)it crystallizes some aspects in your life - clarifying as it also causes you to neglect really important things too.

It's hard to maintain the juggling act of all aspects of my life, and all the aspects of theirs. I've dropped some important stuff for me, that I need to pick up. But the when and how of it will not become clear for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment